On The first record of the chapel at Saint Martin dates from the year 987. Built on a site going much farther back to the times of pagan ritual, the chapel was probably modified in the following century when, by the year 1000, it had acquired its Early Romanesque style. Decorated with Italianate frescos at the end of the 19th century, today it harbours the silent memory of the prayers that filled it down the years.
Today a new chapter is in the writing: at the end of 2011, the estate was bought by investors from abroad, specialists in the production of alcoholic beverages (wines and spirits), who appointed Jean-Luc Parret as estate manager, along with a new managing director, Jean-François Farinet, an enologist formerly with the various companies of the Roederer Group, recruited with the goal of taking the quality of the estate's wines to a yet higher level.
Major investment is now under way, involving both the vineyards (a two-year plan for planting 14 hectares, or some 35 acres, a policy of combining grape varieties) and the buildings (renovation of the château in 2013, extension of the tasting room in 2014) with the aim of making Château Saint Martin de la Garrigue the foremost estate, the Grand Cru, of the Languedoc.
Today, all these efforts have won international recognition, underpinned by a tight-knit team whose commitment and drive has one overriding objective: to maintain Saint Martin de la Garrigue in a paramount position.